Friday, September 01, 2006

My first attempt at blogging

So now I am a blogger! That’s pretty amazing to me because I don’t really know what a blog is. Perhaps it is something like a journal.

My mother kept a journal during her years on a farm in Minnesota. Her entries were usually something like the following:

Hot and dry today. Canned 30 quarts of beans. Men finished
harvesting the oats. Fried chicken for dinner.

When I was a child I thought her entries were very boring. Now I realize the incredible amount of work that went into such a day. Not only is the idea of canning 30 quarts of beans daunting. I now realize that serving fried chicken to the men who came to help with the harvest meant that she caught and killed two chickens, removed their feathers, cleaned the insides, and then cut them up for frying. And after that she found time and energy to write about it in her journal. My mother should have had a gold crown for the work that filled her days.

These entries will be about neither my mother nor me. Instead, they will tell the stories of children throughout the world and the men and women who teach them, at times under the most difficult of conditions. These children and teachers are part of an organization known as Worldwide Christian Schools. (www.wwcs.org)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home