Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Worn out from worship!

For four years I taught at a wonderful Christian school in Chicago. At that time Roseland Christian School had approximately 400 students, all of whom were African American.

During my first year of teaching at that school I noticed that on Mondays my students seemed so tired and listless. After seeing this several weeks in a row, I asked them why they seemed so tired on Mondays. Charles, a fifth grader, explained it this way.

“You see, Mrs. Stronks, I think we are worn out from worship.”

“I have no idea what you mean,” I said.

“Well, on Sunday morning we go to church. We sing and sing until enough people are there so that church can start. Then the preacher preaches and we listen so that we know when to say “Amen” during the sermon. After morning worship we eat together. Then, in the afternoon we sing some more and finally, towards evening, we have another long worship service.”

“That really is a long day,” I agreed. “Is it difficult for you?”

“No, we love it. It’s the best day of the week. I’m just explaining why we are so tired on Mondays. You see, we are worn out from worship.”

I had never before met people who worship so much that it makes them worn out. It is a wonderful thought. Perhaps in the New Earth we will know how to fill our entire days with a great variety of ways to worship our God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home