Thursday, October 18, 2007

Some memories make me sad!

Some memories really do make me sad. Last May at our India conference our friend, Ezekiel, opened with a wonderful devotion. He told us the story of a leper who came to a church and became a Christian.

When he was asked why he had come to the church he said, "A man gave me money and he held my hand when he put the money in it. No one ever touches a leper. He said he was giving the money in the name of Jesus Christ. I wanted to know that same Jesus who would make a man do such a kind thing."

After the conference was finished we had time two hours for shopping on the main shopping street in Bangalore. There was a huge downfall of rain because the monsoon season was beginning.

It was dark after the rain and I headed for one of the stores. A leper came toward me and asked for money. His fingers were stubs and he had rags wrapped around his hands and up on his arms.

I remembered what Ezekiel had said as I gave the man money. But I could not make myself touch him when I did so. I wish so much that I had held his hand.

Some memories make me very sad.

1 Comments:

At 10/19/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gloria,like you, I am challenged many times as I walk the streets of Bangalore as I see these lepers.Amazingly, God helped me to understand his Grace more as I see these men and women. It reminds me that I was like these lepers before God saved me by his Grace. I was untouchable, but he touched me.Im not sure when I'm going to muster up enough courage to reach out and touch some one with this handicap, but the truth is 'one touch will make the difference'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home