Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Relationships matter!

The following was written by Gypsy Meadows, who earlier was the director of Comprenew Academy. She provides a thoughtful description of the kinds of questions Christians face in many parts of the world. We believe that relationships matter a great deal in every aspect of our work. But at times that leaves us with questions.

Comprenew Academy was a W. Community schools "experiment" that produced results that are challenging to me. I spoke with Jerome Able (not his real name) this weekend at his graduation open house (one of our first Academy students who has remained a part-time employee of Comprenew). I asked him how many kids in his class are going on to college. He thought I meant Comprenew Academy kids, and he said, "I think 100 percent." I said, "What aboutyour school, Creston?" Then he said, "Oh, that would be about 50 percent.

Loosely, it would appear that Comprenew Academy either attracted driven students (from my experience, not really) or that our focus on their future goals really did help them make that choice to pursue higher education. However, it was not a highly evangelistic effort by any means.

That's where my personal challenge comes in, whether the Christ-centered potential was intentional enough (and I was the leader of it so I'm not criticizing anyone but myself). Is maintaining a relationship with Tarick, who is from a militant Muslim family, valid since I have not shared the gospel with him? Yes, I have encouraged his growth as a student and human being and may have played a part in where he is now, but what matters in the long run? In eternity?

Since he is a minor and I was a teacher in his life, I didn't feel it right to encourage him in a path that would seriously disrupt his already tumultuous family life. Comprenew was the only safe place for him, outside of school, and I didn't want to jeopoardize that in any way by threatening his family. That must be some of the things teachers in certain places of India grapple with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home