Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Slain in the Spirit

I wrote to a friend in Michigan that when people say things like, “God told me to…” or “The Spirit told me…” it causes me to bite my lip to keep from saying, “Don’t blame God for your poor choices.” It is still easier for me than the noisy chattering of tongues. When I stand in a circle with teacher friends in India and elsewhere and the worship director tells us all to pray in any tongue, the circle is filled with chattering. All speak English but in those moments they speak in their mother tongue or in some language that humans can’t understand. I think God must be pleased but all I can do is admit to God that it is too noisy for me to pray.

My friend wrote back, “Poor Gloria. But what can you expect from someone who chooses to worship in churches where, if someone is slain in the Spirit, people call an ambulance.”

It actually happened! At our worship service one Sunday evening (Michigan) a visitor fell to the floor and started to shake. In great horror we moved chairs back to give him breathing room and someone ran to the telephone to call 911. However, the woman with him said, “Don’t worry. He has just been slain in the Spirit. He will be alright soon.”

If someone falls to the floor during a worship service, we should check to see whether that person is in some rapturous state. However, if I fall to the floor, please call an ambulance! It is only me…poor Gloria.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home