Sunday, December 23, 2007

It's almost Christmas!

Sunday, December 23

Tomorrow will be Christmas Eve and then follows Christmas Day! This is a time of year when most of us think of Christmas long past, but within our lifetimes.

In the Minnesota farm house where I grew up the days leading up to Christmas were fully as exciting as the big day itself. We memorized our songs and lines for school and Sunday school programs. We waited in anticipation of the bag we would each receive after the church program…a bag with nuts, candy, an orange, and an apple.

My mother played the piano very well and so we sang a great deal, whether or not we were getting ready for a program. That is one of my warmest memories of home and I realize now that it also must have been a wonderful time for our parents.

In our family each of us gave a gift to every other family member. The first gift I can remember giving was a candy bar for each person and a comb for Dad. I remember sitting under the kitchen table wrapping each one as carefully as I could. By the time I finished I had given out so many hints that everyone knew what was being wrapped. In spite of all of the warnings about the commercialization of Christmas I still believe that giving gifts to each other is a wonderful way of commemorating the huge Gift we all have received.

Most of us also make certain to give gifts of some kind to people who are in need. A week ago my daughter, Julia, told me of a single mother with four teenage children. The mother has been out of work and only recently has a new job. The children are all excellent students with the very best grades. Last Christmas was a harsh time for that family. When the children were recently asked to list what they would like to have for Christmas each one listed shoes and items of clothing so they will look like the other kids when they go to school. The gift that has given me the most pleasure this year is to give each of those teenagers a “mall credit card” with a specific amount so that they will be able to choose their own new clothes and shoes. Other Christians are busy bringing gifts to children in orphanages or to families who are homeless.

We have fresh snow here in Spokane and because there is little wind the snow remains on the branches of the tall Douglas fir trees. It is a beautiful sight. We usually have fairly mild winters and there is a family of quail living in our hedge. In the late spring we watch the mother take the little ones out for their walks.

I truly hope that those of you who read this will have a wonderful, blessed Christmas filled with memories of times past and building new memories for the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home