Tuesday, March 31, 2009

From George Couperus

Keeping a perspective:

When writing about cramped living conditions and sleeping on floors, I have to mention that sometimes I am the guest in larger homes with ensuite bathroom and all. Some places even have two toilets in the bathroom. You are reading that correctly. One Indian style and one Western.

Although I love the comforts, I do prefer to stay with people in the smaller places. That's where the 2/3 of the world's population are. India, a land smaller then Ontario and Quebec combined, harbours 1/6th of the world's population. There just is'nt the space. Still there is plenty of open country. People are coping and it is really not all that bad.

Furniture in these places is sparse, beds are just a mat, which is rolled up in the daytime. Without furniture even a small room feels spacious. There is no space and no need for a lot of gadgets and the lack of it gives people more time. It is not the end of the world to sit eat and sleep on the floor. One does get used to it. My problem is that I cannot get my legs folded underneath me trying to sit Indian style. I sit with my back against the wall and legs stretched out in front. Of course this takes up more space.

People also live more outside the home. There is no air conditioning. If there is a need for air conditioning any place in the world, it would be in these warmer climates. No need for clothes dryers either. Many churches have no glass for windows, and the congregation shares the building with pigeons and other birds. The children at the orphanage have only the clothes they wear and some school supplies. Still I consider them well off. They have a safe place to stay and people who care. Their greatest need for a future life is a Christ centered education.

George Couperus

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home