Monday, February 26, 2007

My Trip to Haiti

I haven't written for a few days because I was in Haiti. The trip came up very suddenly because a friend was scheduled to speak there and then became ill. I admit that I don't look forward to going to regions of the world where the U.S. government has issued a travel warning.

I went to speak at a Forum planned by the CRECH organization. CRECH works hard to supply curriculum materials and other support to the many Haitian Christian schools. There were 250 Haitian teachers at the Forum and speaking there was a delightful experience.

I was very impressed with the school leaders who attended the Forum. They were extremely attentive and then moved into their groups and quickly became involved in discussions. I commented to an interpreter that everyone looked so well-dressed. He said, "It is our culture. Even though we might not eat for two days before a meeting such as this, we must come in very nice clothes and well-shined shoes. Otherwise we will be ashamed."

There are so very many Christians from North America and from Europe helping the people of Haiti in some way or another. But the need is extremely great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home